This policy covers our US stores and online experiences including our websites and mobile apps and other webpages and services which we operate and in which we post a direct link to this policy. Our policy also describes the choices you can make about how we collect and use your information. If our information practices change, we will post an updated policy on our website. You can tell if the policy has changed by checking the revision date that appears above. If we change the policy in a material way, we will provide appropriate notice to you. You may exercise your choices about how we collect and use your information consistent with this policy at any time.
- What kind of information does Gap Inc. collect?
- How does Gap Inc. use my information?
- How does Gap Inc. share my information?
- What other information does Gap Inc. collect?
- What if I connect to Gap Inc.’s in-store Wi-Fi services?
- What if I use different devices to visit Gap Inc. websites or mobile applications?
- Why did I receive a marketing email after I made a purchase in a Gap Inc. store?
- How do I access or change my information?
- How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?
- How do I stop receiving Athleta catalogs?
- What if I interact or make a purchase with Weddington Way?
- How does Gap Inc. protect kids' privacy?
- How is my information used for behavioral or targeted advertising and what choices do I have?
- What if I apply for a Gap Inc. branded credit card on your site?
- What if I participate in local store programs?
- How do I know my personal information is secure?
- What is "phishing"?
- I received a suspicious email from a Gap Inc. brand regarding an order I did not place. What should I do?
- I responded to an online job posting for a Gap Inc. job that requires me to upload personal financial information. Is this part of your hiring process?
- What about links to other websites?
- How do I contact you?
- Your California Privacy Rights
What kind of information does Gap Inc. collect?
We may collect personal information from you, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number, credit card number, gender, birthday, personal interests, etc., when you visit one of our websites or stores, install or use our mobile apps, place an order online or by phone, make an in-store purchase, save your information with us online, contact us with a question or concern, or participate in a contest, promotion, or survey. We maintain a record of your product interests and the purchases you make online, through a mobile app, by phone and in our stores.
We may combine personal information with information about your online and in-store transactions and other interactions with us, including your purchases. We may also combine your personal information with information we receive from other sources, such as joint marketing partners, public databases, publicly available pages on social media platforms and other third parties. In addition, if you choose to engage in social sharing, such as by connecting your social media account to your customer account or by logging into your customer account from your social media account, the social media site may share information with us about your use of their services, including profile information, information about your contacts and content you have viewed or liked. Please refer to the social media site’s privacy settings to control how your information is shared.
How does Gap Inc. use my information?
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To process and fulfill your order, including to send you emails to confirm your order status and shipment
- To communicate with you and to send you information by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means about our products, services, contests, and promotions, including marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you
- To make your shopping experience easier, more enjoyable and more efficient
- To address problems with and improve our products, brands, services and technologies, as well as to develop new products and services
- To allow you to use our in-store and online technologies
- To provide consistent, personalized services across all channels and all of our brands, including to personalize our advertising, marketing communications, shopping experiences and promotional offers
- To organize local community events, promotions and in-store experiences
- To facilitate social sharing
- To allow you to apply for an offer of credit from a payment card provider
- To allow you to enroll and participate in a loyalty or customer relationship program
- To administer and fulfill our contests and other promotions
- To help us learn more about your shopping preferences
- To prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches and activities that are or potentially may be prohibited or illegal
- As we believe to be required or appropriate to protect the rights, property, safety and security of Gap Inc. and our employees, customers and others
- As we believe to be required or appropriate under applicable law, to respond to requests from government authorities and to comply with legal process
You always have the choice not to receive marketing information or calls. For instructions on opting out, please see the section entitled, "How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?", below.
How does Gap Inc. share my information?
We may share your personal information in the following ways:
- Brands. When you provide personal information to one of our Gap Inc. brands (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Factory, Banana Republic Factory, Athleta, or Intermix), we may share that information with our other Gap Inc. brands.
- Direct Mail. If you purchase Athleta brand products through our website or by placing a catalog order by phone or mail, we may share your name, postal address, and shopping history with like-minded organizations for their direct mail marketing purposes. We do not share email addresses for such purposes. We also do not share personal information about customers who only browse, email comments, request a catalog, or request email updates, or who purchase only Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Factory, Banana Republic Factory, or Intermix merchandise. If you would prefer that we not share information about you with other companies, please let us know by contacting Athleta customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below.
- By You. You may disclose personal information when you post content to our websites, in-store technologies or other public forums, such as our brands’ social media pages, blogs, and online product reviews. Any information that you disclose through these services will become public.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with our service providers who manage our customer information and perform services on our behalf, such as fulfilling promotions, sending communications to our customers, conducting surveys, etc. We do not authorize any of these service providers to make any other use or disclosure of your information.
- Third Parties. We may share your information when we team up with another company to offer or provide products, services, contests, or promotions to our customers.
- Legal Requirements. We may share information about you if necessary or appropriate, in our good faith judgment, to comply with laws or regulations or in response to a valid subpoena, order, or government request, or to protect the operations, privacy, safety, property or rights of Gap Inc. or others.
- Business Transfer. In the unlikely event of a sale or merger of Gap Inc. or any of our businesses, our customers' personal information and other information we have collected as described in this policy may be among the transferred business assets.
What other information does Gap Inc. collect?
We may collect information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as browser and device information; information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, demographic information and other information provided by you; and aggregated information.
We may use and disclose such information for any lawful purpose. If required, we will treat such information as personal information in accordance with this policy. We will also treat such information as personal information to the extent it is combined with personal information. For example, when you use our technologies, we may keep a record of your product interests, the purchases you make and other content you generate (such as adding items to your shopping cart).
We may collect information in a variety of ways, including:
- Your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and browser click-through and usage data.
- Mobile applications: When you download and use one of our mobile applications, we may track and collect usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been accessed, viewed and/or downloaded to the app based on your device number or other identifier.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: We may use pixel tags to, among other things, track the actions of users of our sites and services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of our sites and services and response rates.
- Adobe Flash: We may use Adobe Flash technology, including Flash Local Shared Objects (“Flash LSOs”), and other similar technologies to collect and store information about your use of our websites and mobile applications. You can adjust your Flash player settings to block Flash LSO storage on your computer using the tools contained in the Website Storage Settings Panel. You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to as “information” on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without you being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may interfere with the functionality of some Flash applications, including those used in connection with our websites and mobile apps.
- IP Address: Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet service provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you access our websites, along with the time of the visit and the pages that were visited. Your IP address may also indicate your approximate physical location. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other technologies. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels and diagnosing server problems.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. You may be permitted to allow or deny such uses, but if you do deny them, we may not be able to provide you with a personalized user experience.
- In-Store Technologies: We may provide in-store technologies to help personalize and improve your shopping experience. These technologies may require the collection of certain information about your mobile device, such as your MAC address or other device identification information and may also permit you to submit personal details for increased levels of personalization, such as your interests, shopping preferences, and sizing information.
- Aggregated information: We may collect and use aggregated personal information, which does not personally identify you. For example, we may calculate the percentage of our site users who have a particular telephone area code.
What if I connect to Gap Inc.’s in-store Wi-Fi services?
If you choose to connect to our in-store Wi-Fi services, Gap Inc. will receive information about you and your device, including your device’s MAC address, IP address, received signal strength indicator (RSSI) and technical details about your device such as its operating system and device type (including make and model) and technical capabilities. If you have given your device a name, we may receive it. We will also receive information about how you use our Wi-Fi network while you are connected, including the store location, the areas of the store you visit, the names and/or Internet addresses of the websites you visit and the applications you use, and how long you interact with such sites or applications. We collect this information each time you connect to the Wi-Fi services and may associate it with other information we have collected from and about you.
If your mobile device is configured to search for available Wi-Fi networks, we may receive information about your device even if you choose not to connect to our Wi-Fi services.
As a convenience, we may provide you with an option to stay connected to the Gap Inc. Wi-Fi networks. If you choose this option, you will be automatically logged into the Wi-Fi network of any Gap Inc. store offering Wi-Fi services, and we may collect the information described above even if you do not actively use your Internet browser or your mobile applications during your time in our store. You can choose to disconnect from the Gap Wi-Fi network at any time through your device’s Wi-Fi settings. However, please note that disconnecting from one store’s Wi-Fi network will only disconnect you from that network during your current visit. You can opt out of the auto-reconnect feature at any time by visiting http://www.smart-places.org.
What if I use different devices to visit Gap Inc. websites or mobile applications?
In order to provide you with a more efficient and convenient shopping experience, you may be able to access various content or sign into your account from many different devices. If you use different devices (such as your home computer, laptop, mobile device and/or an intelligent personal assistant device) to access our sites or our mobile applications and/or place a transaction with or request services from one of our brands, we may be able to associate you with each of your devices. For example, our sites may allow you to access your favorite items or shopping cart via an email link that is unique to your account. By clicking on the link, you will be automatically signed into your account in order for you to continue your shopping experience where you left off. If you choose to click the email link on a new device, we will be able to associate your current device with your account information.
Information we have collected from your different devices may be combined with other information you have provided us, including details about: information that is saved in your customer account; your transactional history with our brands; how you use our sites, apps and services; the products you view or services and features or in-store technologies in which you choose to interact. We may use such information to help provide more tailored experiences and consistent services and experiences across all of your devices as explained in this privacy notice. We also may use this information to prevent fraud, such as by identifying when your account is accessed from an unfamiliar device, or to provide customized offers or advertising based on your use of each device and your interactions with our brands, services and offerings Please refer to the “Cookies” section to learn how you can exercise choices regarding cookie-based tracking, or refer to the section “How is my information used for behavioral or targeted advertising and what choices do I have?” to learn more about your choices regarding online advertising.
Why did I receive a marketing email after I made a purchase in a Gap Inc. store?
To provide you with a more seamless customer experience, we keep records of all your Gap Inc. transactions, both online and in-store. For example, if you use a credit or debit card or give the sales associate your email address when you make a purchase in our store, we may associate that information with your online customer account. As described above, we may use information about your purchases to email you about other products and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
How do I access or change my information?
You can review and change certain personal information related to your use of our online sites (such as your name and contact information). To access your information at a Gap Inc. website, simply sign in to your account using your email address and password, and you will be able to edit your personal information in your account profile.
You can also ask us to update your personal information by contacting us as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below. Please note that any request to update your personal information may take up to 10 days for your email request and 6-8 weeks for your postal mail request.
How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?
Gap Inc. and our brands, including Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap Factory, Banana Republic Factory, and Athleta, want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. If you prefer not to receive promotional information, such as information about special offers and sales events, from one or more of our brands, you can let us know by contacting our customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below or you can click on the self-service unsubscribe links below.
Gap Factory Unsubscribe
Banana Republic Unsubscribe
Banana Republic Factory Store Unsubscribe
Old Navy Unsubscribe
If contacting customer service, please be sure to include your full name and the email address you used when you registered with or made a purchase from the Gap Inc. brand. If you ask us to remove your name and address from promotional lists, we will maintain your name in a "do not contact" file to ensure that we can honor your request. It may take up to 10 days to process your email request and 6-8 weeks to process your postal mail request, during which period you may continue to receive communications from Gap Inc.
If you change your mind, you can start receiving promotional communications from us again by logging into your online account and changing your preferences, by signing up when you visit our websites or our stores or when you enter a sweepstakes or contest, or by contacting customer service.
Please note that when you make an online purchase from us, we will continue to confirm your order status and shipment by email. We may also need to contact you via telephone, email or postal mail with questions or information regarding your order.
How do I stop receiving Athleta catalogs?
If you no longer wish to receive Athleta catalogs or wish to alert us to duplicate mailings, please contact Athleta customer service as described in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below. Please provide your exact name, postal address, and email address so that your request can be effectively processed. It may take up to 90 days in order for your information to be completely removed from our list.
To learn more about your rights as a consumer and to receive less national advertising mail, please visit the Direct Marketing Association at http://www.dmachoice.org/.
What if I interact or make a purchase with Weddington Way?
How does Gap Inc. protect kids' privacy?
Gap Inc. is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet. We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information online from anyone under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. Our websites are general audience sites and are not targeted to or intended for use by children.
How is my information used for behavioral or targeted advertising and what choices do I have?
We use our own cookies to help determine which of our ads are shown to you on other websites. To opt out of this targeted online advertising by Gap Inc. that utilizes our cookies, please click here.
We also work with third-party companies that use their tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our websites in order to provide tailored advertisements on our behalf and on behalf of other advertisers across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our sites and your interaction with our advertising and other communications and use this information to determine which ads you see on third-party websites and applications. These technologies and the information collected about you may also be used to track your activity across multiple devices. For more information about this practice and to understand your options including how to opt out of receiving these tailored advertisements, please visit http://www.aboutads.info.
Please note that even if you opt-out, these tracking technologies may still collect data and you will still see ads, but they will not be targeted based upon the information collected through these tracking technologies.
What if I apply for a Gap Inc. branded credit card on your site?
We may provide you with opportunities to apply for an offer of credit from a payment card issuer in our stores or online. To create a more convenient application process, we may provide information from your customer account to a payment card issuer in order to generate a pre-approved credit offer and/or prepopulate your online credit card application with information from your customer account. By submitting a credit card application either in store or online, you acknowledge and agree that Gap Inc. may provide your information to the payment card issuer in accordance with the terms and conditions of the application. For information about the privacy practices associated with your credit card application, please contact the payment card issuer.
What if I participate in local store programs?
We may provide special opportunities for customers in certain stores or locations to receive personalized shopping or other services, such as notification when your favorite products will be in your local store, product recommendations, unique offers for certain community members such as teachers or fitness instructors, and invitations to special local events.
In order to provide these personalized services, a sales associate may ask for information about your interests, activities, shopping preferences and other people for whom you are shopping. We may also keep records of your sizing preferences, product wish lists, local store transaction history, and contact information. We may use your information to contact you by phone or text message, in accordance with this policy. In certain instances, you may also be able to authorize a sales associate to make purchases on your behalf using payment information you have previously provided during an online or in-store transaction.
How do I know my personal information is secure?
We do our best to provide you with a safe and convenient shopping experience. We have in place certain physical, electronic, contractual, and managerial safeguards to help protect the security and privacy of your personal information.
If for any reason you cannot access the secure server, or if you're not quite comfortable shopping online at any of our websites, please feel free to place your order with us by telephone at the number listed in the section entitled, "How do I contact you?", below.
What is "phishing"?
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal information through email.
I received a suspicious email from a Gap Inc. brand regarding an order I did not place. What should I do?
We are aware of phony emails sent out under our brand names. These emails did not originate from Gap Inc., and individuals who received fraudulent order status emails have not been charged. For your protection, do not click links or open any files attached to suspicious, unsolicited emails. If you believe your personal computer has been compromised as a result of the scam, please consult an IT professional. For more information, contact the FBI's Internet Crimes Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov. We work with law enforcement on their investigations of these kinds of fraudulent emails.
I responded to an online job posting for a Gap Inc. job that requires me to upload personal financial information. Is this part of your hiring process?
No. Gap Inc. does not ask prospective job applicants for information about their bank accounts, credit history or passwords to financial accounts. If you are asked for personal financial or security information in response to a job application, this is likely a fraudulent job listing hosted by spammers posing as Gap Inc. to mislead job applicants. You can validate all Gap Inc. job postings on http://www.gapinc.com/careers. Spammers also create phony aliases such as thegap-usa.com to mimic our company and/or brand names in an effort to commit identity theft or other forms of fraud. If you receive this type of suspicious email activity, please alert the FBI's Internet Crimes Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov
What about links to other websites?
How do I contact you?
Gap Customer Services
100 Gap Online Drive
Grove City, OH 43123
1-888-906-1104 (TDD hearing impaired)
Banana Republic Customer Services
5900 North Meadows Drive
Grove City, OH 43123-8476
1-888-BR STYLE (1-888-277-8953)
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Old Navy Customer Services
200 Old Navy Lane
Grove City, OH 43123-8605
1-800-449-4253 (TDD hearing impaired)
Athleta Customer Service
5900 North Meadows Drive
Grove City, OH 43123
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Gap Factory Customer Services
100 Gap Online Drive
Grove City, OH 43123
1-888-906-1104 (TDD hearing impaired)
Banana Republic Factory Customer Services
5900 North Meadows Drive
Grove City, OH 43123-8476
1-888-906-1345 (TDD hearing impaired)
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of Gap Inc. who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write to us at the following address:
Gap Inc. - California Privacy Rights
2 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
California Do Not Track Disclosure
Do Not Track is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. When a user turns on the Do Not Track signal, the browser sends a message to websites requesting them not to track the user. At this time, we do not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals. For information about Do Not Track, please visit: www.allaboutdnt.org.